The Richard Brown Orchestra
The orchestra offers three formats:
A full 27 piece orchestra with strings
A 17 piece Dance Band (same size as the Glenn Miller band)
An 8 piece combo
Richard Brown enjoys a multi- faceted career as an educator, professional musician and a businessman. He is Professor of Percussion at Rice University's Shepherd School of Music as well as Principal Percussionist of both The Houston Grand Opera and Grand Teton Music Festival Orchestras. He leads the Richard Brown Orchestra, one of Houston's most popular dance bands that play large social galas, special events and weddings.
Richard began his musical career at the age of 18 playing with The Chamber Symphony of Philadelphia and Philadelphia Lyric Opera. After his stint with The United States Army Band, in Washington DC, he moved to Houston to join The Houston Symphony, a position he held for 8 years. To pursue another facet of his musical interests he moved to New York City as a freelance percussionist working on Broadway, playing such shows as West Side Story, Showboat, and Shirley MacLaine, as well as working in the recording studios and subbing with The Metropolitan Opera and The New York Philharmonic. During that time he also began working for Ann Margret performing with her for 15 years in all her live shows, both in Las Vegas and on tour.
In 1985 Richard returned to Houston when The Shepherd School appointed him as full time Professor of Percussion. He then began to play regularly with The Houston Symphony and appreciates the 12 years he spent working with Christoph Eschenbach. He became the personnel manager for The Grand Teton Music Festival and soon to follow for The Houston Grand Opera Orchestra. This led him to an interest in the business of music and eventually he created Richard Brown Music, a company that hires musicians for most of Houston's freelance concerts and several of the area's prominent churches. He is proud to say that in any given year he offers over 2000 employment opportunities to Houston's professional musicians.
The variety of all these activities keeps Richard busy, but he always finds time to be available to and a mentor for his students who come to the Shepherd School to study and prepare for careers as professional percussionists.
Richard Brown Orchestra Dance Set 1
1. Let The Good Times Roll 2. Jump Jive An' Wail 3. As Long As I'm Singing 4. Slow Boat To China 5. Big Band Vocal Medley (medley) 6. Perfidia 7. Fly Me To The Moon 8. It Had Better Be Tonight 9. Too Close For Comfort 10. Maria Elena 11. Gershwin Medley (medley)
Richard Brown Orchestra Dance Set 2
1. Almost Like Being In Love 2. Taking A Chance On Love 3. It Had To Be You 4. Sabor A Mi 5. I Can't Give You Anything But Love 6. Just In Time 7. It Don't Mean A Thing 8. Volare 9. Esta Tarde Vi Llover 10. Come Fly With Me 11. Walkin' After Midnight 12. Amado Mio 13. In The Mood
Richard Brown Orchestra Dance Set 3
1. Go Daddy O 2. Mambo Italiano 3. Zoot Suit Riot 4. All The Way 5. New York, New York 6. Sway 7. Route 66 8. Besame Mucho 9. Mack The Knife 10. Beyond The Sea 11. Frenesi (Cha Cha) 12. Just A Gigilo
Richard Brown Orchestra Dance Set 4
1. The Way You Look Tonight 2. S'Wonderful 3. Makin Whoopee 4. The Summer Wind 5. Cheek To Cheek 6. Someone To Watch Over Me 7. For Once In My Life 8. San Francisco 9. I've Got You Under My Skin 10. Hello Dolly 11. Cabaret 12. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Richard Brown Orchestra Dance Set 5
1. Take The "A" Train 2. Don't Get Around Much Anymore 3. Brazil 4. Fever 5. All That Jazz 6. More 7. You Are The Sunshine Of My Life 8. Rock This Town 9. I've Got The World On A String 10. A Foggy Day 11. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You 12. Wind Beneath My Wings 13. All I Need Is The Girl
Richard Brown Orchestra Dance Set 6
1. Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime 2. Hooked On Swing (medley) 3. Tuxedo Junction 4. Begin The Beguine 5. In A Mellow Tone 6. A String Of Pearls 7. Woodchoppers Ball 8. Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White 9. Pennsylvania 6-5000 10. Sing Sing Sing 11. Leap Frog